Tuesday, October 9, 2012

International Article

"Obama se recupera del debate con su mejor recaudación de fondos"

In an article of La Vanguardia entitled "Obama se recupera del debate con su mejor recaudación de fondos" by Francesc Peirón, it explains some of the things that occurred after the first presidential debate. Peiron talks about how President Obama had to celebrate his anniversary on the same day that he lost the first debate. However, even though the President lost the debate, he went on the receive a record amount of donations. The President is currently leading Romeny in donations. It is very interesting to read about American politics in another country. The American election has made the front page of La Vanguardia numerous times. After the first debate, I remember seeing the headlines on different Spanish papers that Obama had lost or that Romney had won. I wondered if this was the opinion of the Spanish press or it was something learned from the American press. There are two difficulties that I come across when I try to read about American politics in Barcelona. One of the obvious barriers is the language. I do not always understand the point that is being made in the article. Second, I am unaware of the news sources that lean to the right or the to left on the political spectrum. In America, when I watch a certain television show or read a certain newspaper, I know if they favor Republicans or Democrats more. In Barcelona, I do not know this and for this reason I could be reading skewed information. As I thought is was said in class, La Vanguardia tends to lean to the right more so it will tend to favor Romney more. In the article, it asked the question, "why did the President lose" and, if I understood correctly, other things seemed to favor Romney. As I gain more knowledge about different new sources then I will understand the news better. It is very exciting to be in Barcelona at this time because there is the upcoming USA election and the Catalonia election. It will be very interesting to see what the headlines say as both elections near.  

No comments:

Post a Comment